Those who know me will know how much I love to travel. Growing up, travel meant boarding a train at Secunderabad station and getting off at Hazrat Nizamuddin and spending the time in between shuttling between the two set of grandparents.
So when I started working, the first thing I did was travel. Moving to Bangalore meant easy access to Coorg, and Ooty, and the various Jungle Lodges. I did my very first trip alone to Goa – March of 2001 I think it was, and the hotel was Taj Aguada. That was when I was hooked. Both to Goa, and to travel.
Since then I have traveled by myself, with friends, with the husband …..and on work.
This past 3 days I have spent in Goa and while I did get to “see” the beach – it was from a distance …. The rest of the time was spent in a freezing conference room, or drinking way too much gin and tonic. It was at the Park Hyatt, which was the saving grace – I love this property …. had Y’s hens there,
Traveling with colleagues always annoys me a little – especially to places like Goa. Whats the point of a getaway…. if you aren;t going to “get away”? Things that irk me…
- I have to have a whole different wardrobe labelled Unsuitable Travel clothes for the beach . I am a bit old fashioned so hesitate to wear short summery clothes on work trips – even to the beach. which mean I am always hot, humid and look silly to the rest of the guests
- If you thought I looked silly, the sight of grown men in jeans/ dark pants and full sleeved shirts and shoes walking around the resort is even sillier.
- The “free scotch pe toot pado” colleagues…. Whats wrong with these people? Do they not realise that getting drunk and dancing on one knee with their lady colleague scars the latter for life.
- The belcher in the conference room. There is always one guy who does that – and he very likely is always either on your table or the table behind you.
- The enthu cutlets who by breakfast, have gone for a run on the beach, a walk in the garden and also ridden the water scooter in the sea. Like what did they do – wake up at 4 am??? I just about made it to breakfast….
- The colleagues who treat hotel staff like their personal valet.
I want to travel, I want to travel to Goa…again… perhaps this time not with work!